Most of the countries around the world have adopted a unique identity system wherein each citizen is allotted a number that carries all the details related to that identity under it.
In India, the government has also started such a system and has named it as Aadhaar.
It is also referred to as UID.
The government of India intends to use the Aadhaar to offer benefits to the citizens through the Aadhaar number. The benefits come in the form of schemes and subsidies that the government provides, such as the subsidy on LPG Gas Cylinder.
The project (Aadhaar Card) is being run by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) and was launched in January 2009. It involves the collection of biometric data of the citizens by the government.
The Aadhaar Card program involves the issuance of a unique number, known as Aadhaar Number, to every citizen which helps to identify them and provide them with benefits of schemes provided by the Indian government.
The Aadhaar Card has 12 digits Aadhaar Number and serves as an identity card for every citizen. It is proposed that the Aadhaar Card (Number) would be linked to other services, such as UAN, bank accounts, PAN Card, pension schemes, etc.
- 1 What is Aadhaar Card?
- 1.1 Why do you need Aadhaar Card?
- 1.2 What is Aadhaar number?
- 1.3 Details in Aadhaar Card
- 1.4 Aadhaar Card Eligibility Criteria
- 1.5 How to apply for an Aadhaar Card
- 1.6 Documents needed for applying for Aadhaar Card
- 1.7 Aadhaar Forms
- 1.8 Aadhaar Card Fees
- 1.9 How to check Aadhaar Card Status
- 1.10 How to update Aadhaar Card Details online
- 1.11 Aadhaar Card FAQs
- 1.12 Linking Aadhaar Card and PAN Card
What is Aadhaar Card?
Aadhaar is a 12-digit unique identification number issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) on behalf of the Indian Government to every individual resident of India.
The Aadhaar attempts to provide a single, unique identification document or number to every resident Indian individual, including demographic and biometric information.
Presently, there are a number of identity documents in India, including passport, PAN Card, Voter ID Card, Driving License, and Ration Card. The Aadhaar Card does not replace these identification documents but serves as a sole identification proof when applying for other things.
It also serves for KYC norms in banks, financial institutions, telecom firms and other businesses that go on to maintain customer data.
The Aadhaar Card will serve a basis for underprivileged Indians to get benefited from government schemes and subsidies which were denied to them due to lack of identification documents.
Why do you need Aadhaar Card?
The Aadhaar Card was introduced to serve as a unique identification for every resident Indian and make it simple to avail government schemes and subsidies.
The Aadhaar Card works as proof of identity and proof of address. The Government of India also introduced Aadhaar Card to curb illegal immigration to the country.
However, Aadhaar Card doesn’t replace the need for a driving license or passport. It does not identify a person as part of a family. Moreover, an individual cannot have more than one Aadhaar number.
Serves as a Universal Identity Card
The Aadhaar Card serves as a unique and universal identity card for the Indian citizens which irradiate the requirement of different documents for getting various services, government schemes, and subsidies.
Aadhaar For getting Government Subsidy
The government of India offers schemes and subsidies to particular citizens for providing benefits and welfare. The Aadhaar Card was introduced so that those eligible for such schemes and subsidies should get it and there is no misuse of these welfare schemes.
With an Aadhaar Card, a person can enroll in government programs and schemes such as the Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan.
For Getting Phone Connections
Aadhaar Card can be used as an identity proof and proof of address when applying for a new landline or cell phone connection.
For getting Gas Connections
Under the PAHAL DBTL Scheme, persons having an Aadhaar Card can avail a subsidy on gas cylinders. For this, the Aadhaar Card has to be linked to the gas connection and also to a bank account.
Use of Aadhaar in Bank Accounts
The benefit of government welfare scheme can be directly received in your bank account if you link your bank account with Aadhaar number.
The Aadhaar Card has no validity constraints. It is valid throughout the life of the person who has the Aadhaar Card.
What is Aadhaar number?
The Aadhaar number is a 12 digit unique identification number allotted to a person having the Aadhaar Card. It contains information about the person, such as the name, age, sex, address, date of birth, as well as the biometric data, to whom it is issued.
The 11 digits in the Aadhaar number is used for identifying the person having the Aadhaar Card, and the last digit is used as a check-digit for preventing errors in data entry.
Details in Aadhaar Card
The Aadhaar Card carries the following details about a person:
- The name of the person
- A photograph
- The Aadhaar number
- The enrollment number (EID)
- The gender of the person
- The address of the person
- The date of birth of the person
- A barcode representing the Aadhaar Number itself
Aadhaar Card Eligibility Criteria
Aadhaar Card serves as a valid document for a multitude of purposes ranging from a proof of identity to a proof of address. It is a gateway for a person to avail special schemes announced by the government of India.
However, Aadhaar is not meant to serve as a document for Indian citizenship. It simply establishes a person’s identity. There are some eligibility criteria for applying for Aadhaar Card. It’s not a complicated set of requirements. On the contrary, it is quite simple.
Aadhaar eligibility criteria include the following:
- Any citizen of India, irrespective of race, religion, or gender is eligible to apply for the Aadhaar Card.
- Minors can also apply for Aadhaar Card. However, they have to be one year old before they can be enrolled. They have to submit their birth certificate along with the identity and address proof of their parents. Once they get their UID (Aadhaar number), they have to update their biometric data when they attain the age of 15 years.
- Even NRIs can apply for the Aadhaar UID.
- Foreigners who are residing in India can also take the Aadhaar Card.
How to apply for an Aadhaar Card
Aadhaar Card cannot be applied for online.
One can only book an appointment at the Aadhaar Centre using the online facility.
You can follow the process mentioned below to get the Aadhaar Number.
- You may need to book an appointment at the Aadhaar Centre through the UIDAI website.
- Once the appointment is confirmed/booked, the Applicant has to visit the Aadhaar Centre with the appropriate documents. The applicant has to submit biometric data in the form of fingerprints and records of the iris.
- Once all the information is provided, it will be verified by the authorities.
- Upon successful verification, a notification will be sent to you through SMS or email, informing you that your application has been successful.
- After getting this message, the Aadhaar number will be generated.
Documents needed for applying for Aadhaar Card
As biometric data is needed, your physical presence is must for applying to Aadhaar Card.
You need to carry the following documents for establishing the proof of:
- The place of residence
To provide these proofs, you can carry any or all of the following documents:
- Birth Certificate
- Driving License
- Voter ID Card
- PAN Card
- SSLC Certificates
- Identity Cards issued by the Government of India
There is just one Aadhaar Form known as the enrollment/correction form. It is used for applying to new Aadhaar or for correcting the details of an existing Aadhaar Card number.
The form collects the basic information of the person and also about the documents that are being submitted as supporting documents for Aadhaar Card.
Aadhaar Card Fees
Getting the Aadhaar Card is absolutely free, and there is no fee or charges associated with it. It serves as an identity card that is valid throughout India.
It helps to avail benefits issued by the government of India. However, having an Aadhaar Number is not mandatory at the moment.
How to check Aadhaar Card Status
You can easily check the status of your Aadhaar Number by using UIDAI’s online portal or through your mobile phone via an SMS or text message.
Steps for checking Aadhaar Card status online
- You need to visit UIDAI’s official website
- At the right bottom of the screen, there is ‘Aadhaar Services’ section which has a link to ‘Enrollment/Download e-Aadhaar/Update
- Once you click on this link, you will see the Aadhaar Kiosk which displays options for Aadhaar enrollment, updating, and status check.
- Here, you have to choose “Check Aadhaar Status.”
- On clicking this link, you will be directed to a page where you can check your Aadhaar status.
- You need to enter the following information to check the Aadhaar Status:
- Enrollment ID
- Date and Time
- Security Code
- After entering this information, you have to click on the “Check Status” button at the bottom of the screen.
How to check Aadhaar Card Status using your phone
For checking Aadhaar Status over the phone, you need to enter the following text message “UID STATUS<14 digit enrollment number>” and send the SMS to 51969 to receive information about your Aadhaar status.
If the Aadhaar Number is already issued, you will get the message displaying your Aadhaar number. In the event when Aadhaar Card is not generated, then you will receive a text message displaying the present status of the Aadhaar Number.
How to update Aadhaar Card Details online
- Login to the Aadhaar Self Service Portal
- Here, enter your Aadhaar Card number in the provided field
- Enter Text Verification number and click “Send OTP.”
- The OTP (One-Time Password) will be sent to your registered mobile number. You can use this for logging to your Aadhaar account.
- Next, you will be directed to the “Data Update Request” page. Here, you have to indicate which data is incorrect on the Aadhaar Card and how to want to update it.
- Next, is the “Documents Required” section where you need to upload an official copy of a recognized document that goes to validate the change?
- Once this is done, you move to “BPO Service Provider Selection.” Here, you have to choose either Aegis or Karvy and hit the submit button.
- When the request is successfully submitted, you can download a copy of update verification.
Aadhaar Card FAQs
Q. How long is the Aadhaar Card valid?
A. The Aadhaar Card is valid for the entire life of the person.
Q. Is it mandatory to have an Aadhaar Card?
A. Presently it is not mandatory to have an Aadhaar. However, it is advisable to enroll for Aadhaar card as it will be easy for you to get benefit from schemes that are launched by the government.
Q. Is it possible to get Government subsidies and other benefits without an Aadhaar Card?
A. Yes. It is possible to apply for government schemes applicable to you without an Aadhaar card.
Q. What’s the difference between Aadhaar Card and e-Aadhaar Card?
A. Both Aadhaar Card and e-Aadhaar Card is the same thing. The only difference being that Aadhaar Card is sent via email by UIDAI, and the e-Aadhaar you get online.
Q. What to do in case you lost your Aadhaar Card?
A. You can get a duplicate Aadhaar Card.
Q. Can you have more than one Aadhaar Card?
A. No. Each person can have only one Aadhaar Card.
Q. What is Aadhaar Card Fees?
A. Getting Aadhaar Card is absolutely free of charge.
Linking Aadhaar Card and PAN Card
There you will find Services section, and “Link Aadhaar” option will be displayed.
Click on that link “Link Aadhaar”
A new Page will be opened where you have to enter your Name (As on Aadhaar), PAN Number, and Aadhaar Number.
Now you need to enter the Captcha code as displayed(This is website security feature).
Finally, you have to click on Link Aadhaar button.
A pop-up message box will be displayed that will inform you that your Aadhaar Number is successfully linked with your PAN Card.
Please Note: Your PAN Card and Aadhaar Card details should be matched for a successful process.